EMPLOYEE LUNCHTIME VOLUNTEER PROGRAM
Shelter pets rescuing County employees from their day-to-day sedentary office routine by encouraging them to take a walk or play!
Employee Wag & Walk Volunteer Application
Our shelter animals have noticed there are hundreds of employees at County Government cooped up in their offices, tiny cubicles, or feeling chained to a desk. They know all too well what it’s like to be confined in a tiny room or cage and want to help you break out of your sedentary work life by taking you for a walk or scheduling some time to play and cuddle with you in the Cat House.
The employee volunteer Wag & Walk Program is a great way for shelter animals to give hope, stress relief, and exercise to our deskbound employees. Our shelter animals are concerned and want to help!
Studies have shown that long sedentary working hours can result in extra stress (and pounds) and lower your quality of health. Animals are being used to reduce stress and lower blood pressure all across the nation, from airports to hospitals to universities.
In an effort to encourage healthy living, Calaveras County is proud to promote this program whereby employees can take a break from their cubicles and sad lunch periods to play and socialize with shelter animals.
- Be an active County employee.
- Complete and submit to Human Resources an employee volunteer application that is located on the County’s intranet under Internal Forms & Documents / Human Resources / Wag & Walk, or on this website.
- Attend a 2 hour training that will be conducted on a weekend.
- Walk and socialize dogs at the shelter.
- Socialize and play with cats at the shelter.
- Follow all shelter rules.
- Immediately report incidents to the shelter assistant or animal services manager.