Apply Now! Position is open until filled!
Salary: $21.86 - $26.55 /hr.
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Status: Permanent
To view our excellent benefits please click HERE.
Under direction, to assign, direct and supervise the work of district road crews in the maintenance, repair and construction of roads, culverts and bridges; operate maintenance equipment when needed; perform a variety of semiskilled and skilled construction tasks; and do related work as required.
- As assigned by the Road Superintendent, assigns and supervises work.
- Gives instructions to and inspects the work of crews engaged in various phases of road construction and maintenance work.
- Instructs crews in and enforces operating safety practices.
- Inspects county roads, ditches and culverts and reports to Road Superintendent the extent of maintenance, repair or reconstruction work required.
- Serves as lead worker for road work activities.
- Maintains time records.
- Orders materials and supplies.
- Meets with public and maintains cooperative relationships.
- As a working supervisor operates a variety of heavy, medium and light construction and maintenance equipment.
- Does a variety of skilled and semiskilled carpentry, concrete or fabrication work in the construction and maintenance of bridges, culverts or roads.
Principles of supervision and training; methods, procedures, tools and materials used in the construction repair and maintenance of roads; operation and maintenance of a variety of medium and heavy road maintenance equipment; provisions of the California Vehicle Code relating to the operation of medium and heavy equipment on streets and roads; safe work practices and state and federal safety regulation.
Direct and inspect the technical details of road and bridge maintenance and repair work; assign and supervise the activities of road crews engaged in road and bridge repair, maintenance and construction work; inspect and report on road conditions; read and write at the level required for successful job performance; understand and carry out oral and written instructions; establish and maintain cooperative working relationships.
Training and Experience:
Equivalent to graduation from high school and three years of increasingly responsible road construction and maintenance experience.
Possession of an appropriate California driver’s license issued by the State Department of
Motor Vehicles may be required.
Interested individuals must submit the following:
- Calaveras County application
- Cover letter
- Current DMV Printout required at time of application. Must be no more than 30 days old.
Application materials will be reviewed to evaluate the specific qualifications of each applicant and determine which applicants will continue in the screening process. Incomplete application information will result in the candidate being screened out of the process. Those candidates identified as having qualifications best suited for the position will be invited to participate in the interview process.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
Mobility to transverse uneven terrain, periodically standing, stooping, bending, climbing and kneeling; color vision to inspect electrical wiring; hearing and speech to communicate in person and by telephone; smell to detect gas or sewage leaks; touch to determine hot or cold water fixtures; manual dexterity to grasp tools and electrical devices; ability to lift and carry items weighing up to 100 pounds for distances up to 100 feet. Exposure to variations in temperature and humidity; some exposure to grease, oil and various chemicals. Contact with staff and the public.
This class description lists the major duties and requirements of the job and is not all-inclusive.
Not all duties are necessarily performed by each incumbent. Incumbents may be expected to perform job-related duties other than those contained in the documents and may be required to have specific job-related knowledge and skills.