POSITION IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Salary: $12.87 – 15.63 /hr.
Job Type: Part - Time
Job Status: Permanent
The County of Calaveras Library Department is seeking a part-time Library Assistant I to join their amazing team. The incumbent will, under direction, perform paraprofessional library work and general clerical work; and do related duties as required. The incumbent will work 18 hours a week. The schedule for this position will be 6 hours a day on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday at the San Andreas Branch.
This is an entry level classification for this series; incumbents learn and perform, under supervision, a variety of basic library clerical work.
- Operates the library circulation desk, including scheduling staff and volunteers.
- Registers new library users and explains library policies and procedures.
- Assists library users in selecting and locating books and materials and providing assistance to answer research questions.
- Locates and processes requested materials within the Calaveras County Library System and through the interlibrary loan process.
- Suggests books and materials for purchase.
- Selects and prepares shipments of materials to branch libraries.
- Organizes children’s programs and performs outreach to schools.
- Assists in the set-up and maintenance of library exhibits including bulletin boards, exhibition cases, and wall displays.
- Prepares signage, posters and banners.
- Maintains the inventory of library furnishings, equipment and office supplies.
- Places purchase orders and processes orders that are received.
- Receives and accounts for all fees, fines and donations.
- Maintains statistics on a variety of library activities, maintains circulation records, generates overdue notices, and produces circulation reports for the automated circulation system.
- Shelves books.
General functions of a library and general office procedures, including basic computer literacy.
Learn and perform library clerical work with speed and accuracy; understand and follow oral and written instructions; type 40 words per minute; perform basic computer operations; establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the general public; communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
Education, Training and Experience:
Equivalent to graduation from high school. One year of responsible clerical experience.
Completion of an Associate of Arts degree in Liberal Studies or a related field may be substituted for up to one year of the required experience.
Licenses, Certificates, or Registrations:
Possession of a valid California driver’s license.
Interested individuals must submit the following:
- Calaveras County application
- Cover letter
Application materials will be reviewed to evaluate the specific qualifications of each applicant and determine which applicants will continue in the screening process. Incomplete application information will result in the candidate being screened out of the process. Those candidates identified as having qualifications best suited for the position will be invited to participate in the interview process.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
Mobility to work in a standard office environment, use standard office equipment and attend off-site meetings; physical ability to sit or otherwise remain stationary at work post for long periods of time; manual dexterity to use standard office equipment and supplies and to manipulate both single sheets of paper and large document holders (binders, manuals, etc.); vision to read handwritten and printed materials and a computer screen; hearing and speech to communicate person and by telephone.
This class description lists the major duties and requirements of the job and is not all-inclusive. Not all duties are necessarily performed by each incumbent. Incumbents may be expected to perform job-related duties other than those contained in the documents and may be required to have specific job-related knowledge and skills.