APPLY IMMEDIATELY! POSITION IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED.
SALARY: $57,574.40 - $69,971.20 annuall
UNIT: Mid-Management Unrepresented
To view our excellent benefits please click HERE.
Under direction of the County Building Official, performs journey-level work in receiving and checking engineering of commercial, residential or industrial plans for engineering requirements and code compliance; responds to construction code inquiries from the public and building professionals; provides supervision to plans examiners and permit technicians; performs other duties as assigned.
This is the senior-level management position in the Plans Examiner series, and differs from the Plans Examiner by the nature and complexity of work performed and by the greater degree of independence granted. Incumbent reviews commercial, residential and industrial project plans, and has a thorough knowledge of construction inspection and plan review protocols, policies and procedures.
- Receives and checks applications and plans submitted for building permits and energy standards.
- Makes structural analyses of all designs and checks calculations.
- Reviews and ascertains whether plans conform to building code ordinances and other building requirements.
- Advises applicants of needed changes and suggests means of changing plans for compliance.
- Checks property descriptions.
- Confers with owners, architects, engineers, contractors and the general public on building, zoning, and energy requirements.
- Prepares monthly reports as required in this department.
- Collects fees.
- Issues permits and receipts.
- Maintains financial records.
- Reports all building or code violations to the proper authorities.
- Supervises and directs assigned employees in the department and as required, make field inspections
Basic principles and practices of structural engineering and design in building construction; knowledge of laws, ordinances, rules, regulations and codes applicable to building construction; knowledge of basic engineering mathematics; knowledge of methods and materials used in building construction; ability to check structural calculations, stress analysis and design of residential and commercial structures; ability to read and interpret plans and specifications; ability to meet and deal effectively with engineers, architects, contractors, and the general public.
Skill and Ability to:
Apply knowledge and follow proper techniques; read and interpret residential, commercial or industrial building plans and specifications; advise on standard construction methods and requirements; answer questions and provide direction to plans examiners and permit technicians; maintain cooperative working relations with buildings, contractors and the general public; enforce regulations with tact and firmness.
Training, Education and Experience:
Any combination of experience and training that would provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or architecture and four years of progressively responsible experience in engineering plans examination, building design or construction inspection; or
- California certification as an Engineer-in-Training (EIT) by the State Board of Registration for Professional Engineers;
- AND four years of progressively responsible experience in engineering plans examination, building design or construction inspection.
Possession of a valid California driver’s license and an ICC Certification as a Plans Examiner.
Interested individuals must submit the following:
- Calaveras County application
- Cover Letter
Application materials will be reviewed to evaluate the specific qualifications of each applicant and determine which applicants will continue in the screening process. Incomplete application packets will be screened out of the process. Those candidates identified as having qualifications best suited for the position will be invited to an oral examination. Following the oral examination, the top candidates will be referred to the Department Head for a selection interview.