Friday, January 18, 2019 by 5:00 p.m.
Salary: $17.43 - $21.23 /hr.
Job Type: Full - Time
Job Status: Permanent
Please see our EMPLOYEE BENEFITS page for detailed information.
The Calaveras County Health and Human Services Agency is seeking an Office Technician I for its Public Health Division. Front desk etiquette and advanced clerical skills are required to provide exceptional customer service.
Under general direction, to perform a variety of the more difficult and complex office assignments; to perform fiscal and financial record keeping; to type materials, and to do related work as required.
This is the entry and first level in the Office Technician series. Clerical skills are required. This classification is responsible for technical knowledge of the functions of the department. Incumbents will work under close supervision while learning the policies and procedures of the office where assigned.
- Position will include working the Public Health Division’s Front Desk for any length of time during operating hours.
- Screens callers in public and over the telephone, furnishing desired information, and/or referring them to proper source.
- Maintains setting appointments and provides clerical office support along with record maintenance assignments.
- Compose and type memorandums, letters and reports as requested.
- Provides information, takes and transmits messages.
- Performs a variety of financial record keeping, including maintenance of summary account expenditures, accounts receivable, and accounts payable records.
- Assist with the preparation and control of budgets.
- Receives, sorts and distributes mail.
- Maintains work time, invoices, work order information and a variety of office files and records.
- Records and logs invoices and claims.
- Prepares documents; establishes, types and proofreads documents and materials.
- Tabulates data and verifies totals; may work on special reports.
- Performs a wide variety of office and program support assignments.
- Performs special assignments and projects as delegated.
- Operates a computer, using word processing, spreadsheet, and other software.
Policies and procedures of the department and unit where assigned; thorough knowledge of specialized areas of office support where assigned; modern office practices, methods and procedures; filing and information retrieval systems; fiscal, account and budget record keeping; computers and software used in office and program support assignments; operation and use of office equipment; basic mathematics and proper English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
Perform a variety of specialized office assistance assignments with minimal guidance and supervision; interpret and apply the policies and procedures of the office where assigned; perform fiscal, account and budget recording keeping; type at a rate of 40 words per minute from clear, legible copy; operate a computer, using word processing and other software as appropriate; operate and use office equipment; follow oral and written directions; deal tactfully and courteously with other County staff and the public, providing information and responding to concerns about the Department and/or program where assigned; and establish and maintain cooperative working relationships.
Education, Training and Experience:
High School diploma or equivalent. Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge and abilities would be:
Five (5) years of clerical experience, performing assignments comparable to those of a Clerical Assistant II or III.
Licenses, Certificates, or Registrations:
Possession of a valid California driver’s license.
Interested individuals must submit the following:
- Calaveras County application
- Cover letter
Application materials will be reviewed to evaluate the specific qualifications of each applicant and determine which applicants will continue in the screening process. Incomplete application information will result in the candidate being screened out of the process. Those candidates identified as having qualifications best suited for the position will be invited to participate in the interview process.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
Mobility to work in a standard office environment; use standard office equipment and attend off-site meetings; physical ability to sit or otherwise remain stationary at work post for long periods of time; manual dexterity to use standard office equipment and supplies and to manipulate both single sheets of paper and large document holders (binders, manuals, etc.); vision to read handwritten and printed materials and a computer screen; hearing and speech to communicate in person and by telephone.
This class description lists the major duties and requirements of the job and is not all-inclusive. Not all duties are necessarily performed by each incumbent. Incumbents may be expected to perform job-related duties other than those contained in this document and may be required to have specific job-related knowledge and skills.