Open Until Filled. Apply Now.
UNIT: Limited Term (Unrepresented)
County of Calaveras is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The County of Calaveras Library Department is seeking a Library Assistant II to join their amazing team. If you enjoy contributing to the development of children from birth through age five and are in need of a part time position, we are looking for you!
This awesome opportunity is made possible through a grant funded by First Five for the Little Leapers Early Literacy Program. The incumbent in this position will assist Calaveras County Library Branches in Storytime, develop themed curriculum for children’s programs, making home visits to Calaveras Family Child Care Homes to deliver library books and help children complete the curriculum. The incumbent will also maintain the social media presence of this program and plan library events for children.
The schedule for this position will be Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday 9:00 am to 3:00 pm (18 hours weekly). Wednesday is required, but the other days and hours are flexible. Occasional Saturdays may be required. This position is limited term and is funded by the First Five grant until July 10, 2020.
Library Assistant II:
This is the journey level classification for the series; incumbents in this class work under general supervision and perform varied and responsible library clerical work and, as assigned, paraprofessional library work.
- Operates the library circulation desk, including scheduling staff and volunteers.
- Registers new library users and explains library policies and procedures.
- Assists library users in selecting and locating books and materials and providing assistance to answer research questions.
- Locates and processes requested materials within the Calaveras County Library System and through the interlibrary loan process.
- Suggests books and materials for purchase.
- Selects and prepares shipments of materials to branch libraries.
- Organizes children’s programs and performs outreach to schools.
- Assists in the set-up and maintenance of library exhibits including bulletin boards, exhibition cases, and wall displays.
- Prepares signage, posters and banners.
- Maintains the inventory of library furnishings, equipment and office supplies.
- Places purchase orders and processes orders that are received.
- Receives and accounts for all fees, fines and donations.
- Maintains statistics on a variety of library activities, maintains circulation records, generates overdue notices, and produces circulation reports for the automated circulation system.
- Shelves books.
General functions of a library and general office procedures, including basic computer literacy. The above, plus library terminology and standard library practices; basic library materials and equipment.
Learn and perform library clerical work with speed and accuracy; understand and follow oral and written instructions; type 40 words per minute; perform basic computer operations; establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the general public; communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
The above, plus use computers for word processing, spreadsheet development and print shop functions; operate the automated circulation system; do routine reference work and assist patrons in the selection and location of library materials.
Education, Training and Experience:
Equivalent to graduation from high school. One year of responsible clerical experience in a library setting. Completion of an Associate of Arts degree in Liberal Studies or a related field may be substituted for up to one year of the required experience.
Licenses, Certificates, or Registrations:
Possession of a valid California driver’s license.
Interested individuals must submit the following:
- Calaveras County application
- Cover letter
Application materials will be reviewed to evaluate the specific qualifications of each applicant and determine which applicants will continue in the screening process. Incomplete application information will result in the candidate being screened out of the process. Those candidates identified as having qualifications best suited for the position will be invited to participate in the interview process.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
Mobility to work in a standard office environment, use standard office equipment and attend off-site meetings; physical ability to sit or otherwise remain stationary at work post for long periods of time; manual dexterity to use standard office equipment and supplies and to manipulate both single sheets of paper and large document holders (binders, manuals, etc.); vision to read handwritten and printed materials and a computer screen; hearing and speech to communicate person and by telephone.
This class description lists the major duties and requirements of the job and is not all-inclusive. Not all duties are necessarily performed by each incumbent. Incumbents may be expected to perform job-related duties other than those contained in the documents and may be required to have specific job-related knowledge and skills.