SALARY: $21.34 per hour
UNIT: Extra-Hire- Unrepresented
County of Calaveras is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The County of Calaveras Office of the Sheriff is seeking Extra-Hire Correctional Officer(s) to work in the Jail up to 28 hours weekly on an on-call basis. This assignment is expected to last until June 30, 2019. Applicants that have successfully completed of a P.C. 832 course and C.O.R.E are encouraged to apply, however, no experience is required and on the job training will be provided.
Under supervision, maintains care and custody of inmates, security, and order on and off the property of Calaveras County; do related work as required, or conduct other duties as assigned by the Sheriff or his/her designee.
Correctional Officers perform inmate care and custody duties while maintaining jail/inmate security and assuring compliance with Title 15 and other applicable laws governing custody of incarcerated persons.
- Receives, books, fingerprints, and photographs inmates. Receives and records personal property of inmates. Assures that inmates are searched, clothed, and assigned to cells.
- Confines and releases inmates from cells. Monitors inmate activities.
- Operates a County vehicle to transport and escort inmates to and from medical facilities, other detention facilities, courts, and other locations.
- Supervises inmates on work details both within and outside of the custodial facility.
- Patrols the internal and external perimeters of the custodial facility, making periodic inspections of conditions. Enforces rules and regulations governing the conduct of inmate and visitors.
- Examines mail and packages to be received by inmates.
- Maintains discipline and orderly conduct. Prevents, deters, and stops fights among inmates, restrains disorderly inmates. Uses appropriate verbal skills to prevent assault by inmates, and uses appropriate self-defense tactics to deflect assault by inmates..
- Investigates and/or handles medical emergencies and disorders. Administers CPR and first aid. Coordinates with custody nurse for the distribution of prescribed medications to inmates.
- Investigates crimes committed within the facility by inmate population, and writes accurate reports regarding said investigation.
- Operates radios, telephones and other communication equipment.
- Prepares required records pertaining to period of commitment.
- Prepares records and reports; completes forms.
- Discharges or transfers inmates, prepares appropriate reports and paperwork, releases personal property.
- Answers inquiries over the telephone related to jail policies and individual prisoners per applicable regulations.
- Receives and gives receipts for bail money; Supervises feeding of prisoners; Assists with routine clerical duties;
- Attends State mandated training(s) to achieve and maintain correctional officer certificate(s).
Knowledge, Skill and Ability to: (Probationary Period)
Demonstrate an aptitude for correctional work, learn, understand and carry out oral and written instructions, understand and apply departmental and other applicable laws and regulations, learn standard broadcasting procedures of a police radio system, make independent decisions and adopt quick, effective and reasonable course of action with respect for the rights of others;, to learn from experience and apply knowledge gained effectively.
Knowledge of: (Full Performance):
Human relations, inmate character and habits, supervision of inmates, disciplinary, security, emergency, and safety policies and procedures, departmental rules and regulations, location of routine and emergency equipment, and appropriate terminology.
Skill to: (Full Performance):
Use effective verbal and non-verbal communication; perform CPR and first-aid; use riot control equipment, restraining devices, fire extinguishers and other security and safety equipment; and drive a County vehicle while monitoring inmates.
Ability to: (Full Performance):
Keep records and reports; protect oneself and others; handle hostile inmates with minimum amount of force, observe and note unusual occurrences; be aware of surroundings; supervise inmates; and perform duties according to established policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
Training and Experience:
Equivalent to graduation from high school. Must be able to operate a computer and learn specialized software.
Possession of an appropriate California driver’s license issued by the State Department of Motor Vehicles is required.
Interested individuals must submit the following:
- Calaveras County application
All applicants will be invited to take a written examination. Those applicants who receive a passing score on the written examination will be invited to an oral interview.
Following successful completion of the oral interview, a background investigation that will include a computer voice stress analysis examination will be completed on the top candidates. All applicants who successfully complete the background investigation will then be scheduled for a psychological examination. In addition, a fit for duty medical examination will be completed. Successful completion of all phases of the County’s testing process is required.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
Frequently stand, walk and climb stairs and ladders; sit or stand for extended periods in one position; walk on sloped, slippery and/or uneven surfaces; ability to stoop, kneel, or bend to pick up or move objects weighing over 100 pounds with help; open heavy metal doors routinely throughout a shift, crawl through various areas moving on hands and knees; physical ability to restrain prisoners; normal manual dexterity and eye-hand coordination; corrected hearing and vision to normal range, verbal communication; use of office equipment including computers, telephones, calculators, copiers, and FAX. Correctional officers are required to wear specialized equipment, some of which is heavy and worn daily.
This class description lists the major duties and requirements of the job and is not all-inclusive. Not all duties are necessarily performed by each incumbent. Incumbents may be expected to perform job-related duties other than those contained in the documents and may be required to have specific job-related knowledge and skills.