Final Filing Date: Open Until Filled. Apply Now.
SALARY: $102,668.80 - $124,820.80/yr.
To view our excellent benefits please click HERE
County of Calaveras is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The County of Calaveras Administration Department is seeking an Economic and Community Development Director. We are seeking to build a strong economic and community foundation for the County using this recently created position. The County is looking for a creative, energetic and highly motivated person who is results-oriented and customer and relationship focused. The person will have an opportunity to develop an economic development program from the ground up for the County of Calaveras. The position comes with a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, deferred compensation with a county match, a CalPERS pension and much more.
The incumbent will serve at the will of the County Administrative Officer and under general direction, manages the Administrative Department’s economic and community development functions and directs the programs to achieve the departmental missions; implements and maintains the Economic Development Strategic Plan; develops and implements policies aimed at business retention and recruitment programs; markets, promotes and facilitates business attraction and retention efforts, including preparation of press releases; communicates the program’s strategy to diverse groups; seeks and applies for grants to enhance, promote and support the plan; assures compliance of all activities with County goals and objectives, state and federal laws, and County policies and procedures.
This single incumbent classification has the responsibility for the effective implementation of the County’s Economic and Community Development program. The incumbent in this classification will perform a wide variety of independent and inter-related functions to improve and secure the economic health of the County. Incumbent is expected to have strong interpersonal skills, strong experience in economic and community development, and the ability to build regional partnerships. This is a management level position and reports directly to the County Administrative Officer or designee.
- Plans, directs, supervises and coordinates the activities of the Economic and Community Development functions of the County, which include economic development, coordination with related redevelopment agencies, and administration of County community development and housing programs;
- Develops and implements the County's economic development strategy, including business retention, expansion and attraction efforts;
- Develops professional relationships with economic and workforce development providers, partners, regulatory agencies and governments within the County's region;
- Facilitates the preparation and implementation of grant applications for economic and community development projects and programs;
- Plans, prioritizes and assigns tasks and projects; directs the development of performance standards; approves promotions and terminations;
- Advises and participates in various workshops, public hearings, advisory committees, and public meetings;
- Analyzes and evaluates issues, develops recommendations, and directs the implementation of solutions;
- Evaluates proposals containing incentives to help broaden the County tax bases, generate or attract new capital, increase business activity, produce employment a diversify the County’s economic base;
- Monitors operations and procedures; develops and approves recommendations for improving the operations and processes; assures that strategic goals are reached;
- Develops, evaluates and implements function-specific goals, objectives, policies and procedures; assures activities are in compliance with all laws, policies, regulations and goals;
- Directs research and strategic planning functions; analyzes financial and demographic trends; evaluates program requirements and resource utilization; coordinates integration of services with other departments and agencies;
- Provides technical assistance on a broad range of economic development matters to developers, businesses, prospective industries and the general public;
- Monitors budget and expenditures for programs and services; assures that appropriate services are provided; coordinates information and assures effective communications between departments;
- Serves as information source and liaison between the County and various county and regional organizations and agencies, including private businesses; serves on committees, task forces and other groups;
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Principles, practices and methods related to economic development and related programs; programs and methods for improving the economic development climate; current economic trends in national, state, regional and local economies; statistical and analytical techniques applicable to economic analysis; techniques employed in public presentations, group dynamics; negotiation techniques and consensus building techniques; applicable statutes, rules, ordinances, codes and regulations; County policies and procedures; principles, practices, and trends in public administration, leadership, management and strategic planning; principles and practices of governmental budgeting, contract management, grant programs and fiscal planning; Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) and related programs.
Communicate effectively with local government and regional officials, business and community leaders; interpret statistical, economic and highly technical data related to economic development matters; direct the work of consultants, subcommittees, special interest groups and regional programs; prepare and administer an annual budget for economic development programs and operate within designated parameters; delegate tasks and authority as needed; analyze and interpret contracts and compliance protocols; read, understand, interpret and apply relevant County, State and Federal statutes, rules, ordinances, codes and regulations; exercise sound independent judgment within policy guidelines; assess and prioritize multiple tasks, projects and demands; assess, analyze, identify and recommend solutions to problems; establish and maintain effective working relations with co-workers, other County employees, elected officials, and outside agencies and businesses; communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
Education, Training and Experience:
Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Economics, Planning or a closely related field from an accredited college or university. A Master's degree is preferred.
Four (4) years’ experience in economic and community development, including two (2) years of supervisory experience.
Licenses, Certificates, or Registrations:
Possession of a valid California driver’s license.
Interested individuals must submit the following:
- Calaveras County application
- Cover letter
Application materials will be reviewed to evaluate the specific qualifications of each applicant and determine which applicants will continue in the screening process. Incomplete application information will result in the candidate being screened out of the process. Those candidates identified as having qualifications best suited for the position will be invited to participate in the interview process.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
Mobility to work in a standard office environment; use standard office equipment and attend off-site meetings; physical ability to sit or otherwise remain stationary at work post for long periods of time; manual dexterity to use standard office equipment and supplies and to manipulate both single sheets of paper and large document holders (binders, manuals, etc.); vision to read handwritten and printed materials and a computer screen; hearing and speech to communicate in person and by telephone.
This class description lists the major duties and requirements of the job and is not all-inclusive. Not all duties are necessarily performed by each incumbent. Incumbents may be expected to perform job-related duties other than those contained in this document and may be required to have specific job-related knowledge and skills.