Friday, April 5, 2019 by 5:00 p.m.
Salary: I: $ 21.35 - $25.96 /hr.
II: $26.61 - $32.36 /hr.
Range: 7377 / 7788
Job Status: Full- Time
Job Type: Permanent
To view our excellent benefits please click HERE.
Under general direction of the Mental Health Deputy Director and supervision of the MHSA Senior Department Analyst, the Case Manager will provide daily/weekly contact through home visits with persons released from hospitalization for severe mental health illnesses and emotional disorders and/or substance abuse disorders, and who have a history of repeated mental health crisis hospitalizations. While working in conjunction with professional therapists, social workers, and psychiatrists, the Case Manager will focus on wellness and recovery principles through modeling recovery, sharing skills and education, as well as assisting in navigating the local system of care.
Case Manager I
This is the entry-level position in the Case Manager series. Applicants are expected to possess knowledge regarding the provision of case management services and community resources related to mental health and/or substance abuse and related issues. Applicants are expected to acquire additional knowledge of case management services, rehabilitation methodologies and community resources, and the management of emotional and behavioral disorders as additional experience is gained. Incumbents may become eligible for promotion to the Case Manager II level upon demonstration of progressively responsible job assignments and performance, independence of action, decision making and attainment of required experience.
Case Manager II
This is the journey-level position in the Case Manager Classification series. Applicants are expected to possess considerable knowledge regarding the provision of case management services and community resources related to mental health and/or substance abuse and related issues. Applicants are also expected to understand the principles of behavioral health and/or substance abuse services, principles and practices of case management, rehabilitation methodologies, social aspects of mental illness, addiction and substance abuse and the scope of activities of public and private health and social services agencies.
(Duties vary depending on assignment)
- With direction and supervision, conducts reviews of consumer functioning.
- Assists with daily living needs.
- Provides recommendations to staff and/or family members involved with consumer.
- Meets with consumers to monitor their status and to assist with recovery from mental illnesses and disorders.
- Maintains accurate and timely documentation of interventions and activities.
- Provides necessary reports to agencies; develops resource listings for professional assistance.
- Collaborates with co-staff and external agencies or providers.
- May transport consumers to and from facilities.
- Participates in treatment planning activities under direct supervision.
- Support efforts and programs specific to Health and Human Services Agency programs as determined by program assignment.
- Attends staff meetings, treatment planning and monitoring through utilization management and review.
- Works to support medical, clinical staff, administrative staff, consumer employees and volunteers in accomplishing overall consumer and agency goals.
Case Manager II
- In addition to the above: The Case Manager II is assigned more complex, difficult cases with less supervision and direction.
- May serve as departmental contact with County Counsel regarding requests for and implementation of conservatorship(s) as required.
- Assists support functions including arranging required psychiatric hospitalizations, emergency/crisis assistance, follow-up, discharge planning and related functions.
- Participates in both Medi-Cal and Peer Review Committee activities.
Community resources related to mental health, guardianship and/or addiction or substance abuse and related issues, and a general understanding of principles and practices of case management, social aspects of mental illness, emotional and behavioral disorders, addiction and substance abuse; scope and activities of public and private health and welfare agencies.
Apply the principles of current mental health and/or addiction or substance abuse treatment practices, agency policies and procedures; establish and maintain the confidence and cooperation of persons contacted in the course of the work; write clear, accurate and concise notes and reports; maintain an objective and empathetic understanding of mental illness, emotional and behavioral disorders, addiction, substance abuse, and related problems.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
Case Manager I
- Equivalent to graduation from high school and one year of full time experience working directly with consumers in a public behavioral health or similar setting. An Associate Degree in Human Services or a related field may be substituted for six months full time experience; or
- Completion of Bachelor’s degree in psychology, social work, chemical dependency, or a related field.
Case Manager II
In addition to the above,
- Graduation from high school and six years of experience performing duties equivalent to those of a Case Manager I; or
- An Associates’ Degree in Human Services, or a related field, and three years of experience performing duties equivalent to those of a Case Manager I; or
- Completion of a Bachelor’s Degree in psychology, social work, chemical dependency, or a related field and one year of experience performing duties equivalent to those of a Case Manager I.
Possession of a valid California Driver's License at the time of appointment.
Interested individuals must submit the following:
- Calaveras County application
- Cover letter
- Supplemental Questions
Application materials will be reviewed to evaluate the specific qualifications of each applicant and determine which applicants will continue in the screening process. Incomplete application information will result in the candidate being screened out of the process. Those candidates identified as having qualifications best suited for the position will be invited to participate in the interview process.
Please answer the following questions on a separate sheet of paper. Each candidate must complete the supplemental questionnaire as part of the application and exam process. The initial evaluation of your qualifications for this position will be determined by your responses to these questions and the information you provide on the application for employment. Your responses should be complete and specific. The clarity, conciseness and completeness of answers are factors which will be considered in the selection process. A maximum of one (1) page to respond to each question is requested. Address each question separately. Please type your responses using 12 font and 1.5 spacing.
- Describe how you would apply wellness and recovery best practices when providing case management services to persons with a severe mental illness that are recently released from an institutional setting.
- Describe what it means to provide individualized independent living skills training for clients served in this program?