Apply Now! Positions are open until filled.
2% COLA effective January 5, 2019
Job Type: Full- Time / Part - Time / Flexible On- Call
Job Status: Extra-Hire
FLSA: Non - Exempt
Under supervision, to be responsible for the care and cleaning of assigned County buildings and related facilities; and do related work as required. Calaveras County Facilities is looking for Full – Time, Part – Time and On- Call custodians to work day or swing shifts.
This is the entry-level class in the Custodian classification series. Employees in the class are responsible for performing a wide variety of duties such as sweeping, mopping, waxing, buffing, scrubbing and oiling floors; replenishing supplies, empties and cleans waste receptacles; cleaning restrooms; washing windows and walls; replacing light bulbs; cleaning and dusting books and shelves; moving and arranging furniture and equipment for special events; and keeps simple records.
- Performs a variety of duties such as sweeping, mopping, waxing, buffing, scrubs and oils floors.
- Spot clean carpets as needed.
- Cleans all windows including glass, sills, frames and blinds.
- Cleans, disinfects and sanitizes restrooms including hardware, fixtures, floors, mirrors, walls, doors and partitions as well as services paper and soap dispensers.
- Cleans office areas including furniture, phones, lamps, walls, doors, door hardware, wastebaskets, floors and baseboards.
- Cleans building entrances including sidewalks, ashtrays, mats, carpet, glass, metal surfaces, corners and floors.
- Cleans corridors and lobbies including sweeping, vacuuming floors, baseboards, spot cleaning carpets, drinking fountains, furniture, drapes, and blinds.
- Cleans all other incidental items or areas such as air vents, storage areas, desks and table tops, dust areas on a regular basis or as needed.
- Operate and maintain a variety of custodial equipment including stripping machine, waxer, buffer, carpet extractor, carpet shampooer, wet and dry vacuums, and other custodial equipment as assigned.
- Replaces light bulbs.
- Polishes metal work.
- Moves and arranges furniture and equipment for special events.
- Cleans custodial closets and organizes supplies and equipment. Replenishes as needed.
- Notifies lead or supervisor of problems with mechanical systems, lighting and power, damaged, vandalized or missing property, equipment and supplies.
- Follows adopted policies and procedures in accordance with County priorities.
- Observes all safety requirements.
Methods, materials and equipment used in building cleaning work; safe work practices.
Read and write at the level required for successful job performance; clean and care for assigned buildings and equipment; use a variety of janitorial equipment and materials; understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
Training and Experience:
Equivalent to graduation from high school.
One (1) year of cleaning experience preferred. On-the-job training provided.
Possession of an appropriate California driver’s license issued by the State Department of Motor Vehicles may be required.
Interested individuals must submit the following:
- Calaveras County application
Application materials will be reviewed to evaluate the specific qualifications of each applicant and determine which applicants will continue in the screening process. Incomplete application information will result in the candidate being screened out of the process. Those candidates identified as having qualifications best suited for the position will be invited to participate in the interview process.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
Mobility to work in a standard office environment; use standard office equipment and attend off-site meetings; physical ability to frequently stand and walk; sit or otherwise remain stationary at work post for long periods of time; manual dexterity to use standard office equipment and supplies and to manipulate both single sheets of paper and large document holders (binders, manuals, etc.); vision to read handwritten and printed materials and a computer screen; hearing and speech to communicate in person and by telephone. Work is performed both in an office and outdoors; exposure to variations in temperature and humidity; some exposure to grease, oils and various chemicals; constant contact with staff and the public.
This class description lists the major duties and requirements of the job and is not all-inclusive. Not all duties are necessarily performed by each incumbent. Incumbents may be expected to perform job-related duties other than those contained in this document and may be required to have specific job-related knowledge and skills.