Apply Now! Position is open until filled.
2% COLA effective January 5, 2019
Salary: $16.89 - $20.49
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Category: Facilities Maint.
FLAS: Non - Exempt
To view our excellent benefits please click HERE
Under direction or general supervision, performs a variety of semi-skilled work in the improvement, maintenance, repair and cleaning of County grounds, including county-owned parks, recreation facilities, buildings, sports fields, open spaces, landscapes, equipment, irrigation systems and controllers, and weed abatement; uses and operates a variety of manual and power tools and light to heavy power driven equipment; and performs related work as required.
This is a single classification working under supervision. Incumbents will perform the full range of duties required to ensure that county grounds and infrastructure are maintained in a safe and effective working condition and provide the highest level of safety for public use.
- Performs maintenance, repair and construction activities of County grounds and related facilities to ensure safe and efficient access for the public;
- Inspects assigned County grounds and facilities for maintenance needs and safety concerns;
- Estimates quantities needed and recommends selection of plans for annual or permanent planting areas;
- Performs turf maintenance duties, including watering, mowing, weeding, trimming, aerating, renovating, and fertilization;
- Performs shrub and flower bed maintenance, including planting, watering, fertilizing, and maintaining landscaped areas such as bushes, trees, flowers, and shrubs; performs weed abatement using a chemical sprayer, installs sod and/or sows grass seeds;
- Trims and prunes bushes, trees, and shrubs to provide clearance of sidewalks and signs, as well as to ensure the continued health of the bush, tree or shrub,
- Mows and edges lawns, and other turf;
- Removes fallen trees, stumps, fallen limbs, and related debris resulting from storm damage and general conditions;
- Irrigates lawns and other planted areas using manual and automatic irrigation devices. Performs a variety of duties in the maintenance and repair of the irrigation system; changes and adjusts heads; maintains controllers; participates in performing irrigation system installation and maintenance projects;
- Identifies and corrects irrigation, disease, and other plant problems;
- Paints buildings and other facilities; removes graffiti, and power washes hard surfaces;
- Rakes leaves and clears debris from walkways, fields and other facilities;
- Assists in the set-up and removal of equipment and facilities needed for special events;
- Operates and maintains specialized vehicles and a variety of light, and medium equipment and power tools related to landscaping, maintenance and repair of County-owned grounds, including trucks, lawn mowers, weed eater, edger, blowers, hedge trimmer, etc.;
- Installs, adjusts, and repairs sprinkler systems and related plumbing, including valves, valve heads, time clocks, and piping;
- Observes safe work methods and makes appropriate use of related safety equipment as required;
- Maintains public facilities, shop, storage sites, and other work areas in a clean and orderly condition, including securing equipment at the close of the workday;
- Maintains accurate logs, reports, and records of work performed and materials and equipment used;
- Attends training, meetings, and workshops as required to enhance job knowledge and skills;
- Interacts with and provides information for the public and County staff;
- Acts upon complaints, referrals, and concerns from the public; responds to and performs work in emergency situations as directed;
- Perform the minor duties of a Facilities Maintenance Worker I on a very limited basis during inclement weather;
- Performs related work as required.
Maintenance principles, practices, tools and material for maintaining and repairing County facilities and grounds; weed abatement; varieties of plants, trees and landscaping materials; basic plant diseases; water, nutrient and light requirements; proper use of pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers; irrigation system installation and maintenance techniques; basic plumbing; proper operation and minor maintenance of a variety of hand and power tools, vehicles, and light to heavy power equipment; occupational hazards and safety equipment and practices related to the work, including the handling of hazardous chemicals; records maintenance techniques; modern office practices, methods, and computer equipment and applications related to the work; techniques for providing a high level of customer service by effectively dealing with the public, vendors, contractors, and County staff; English in order to communicate in person, over the telephone or radio, and in writing; applicable Federal, State, and local laws, regulatory codes, ordinances, and procedures relevant to facilities maintenance and grounds keeping.
Skill and Ability to:
Perform grounds keeping and repair work on County-owned grounds with minimal supervision; properly plant, prune and irrigate turf, trees and landscaping; install, maintain, adjust and repair irrigation systems and related plumbing; identify and resolve minor plant disease, nutrient, watering and related problems; mix and apply fertilizers; operate and perform routine maintenance of mowers and other power and hand tools and equipment; interpret and apply the policies, procedures, laws, codes, and regulations pertaining to ground keeping; providing training and work direction of temporary, work release, and seasonal helpers as needed; use tact, initiative, prudence, and independent judgment within general policy, procedural, and legal guidelines; operate modern office equipment including computer equipment and specialized software applications programs.
Education, Training, Experience and Certifications:
Graduation from high school or equivalent GED program and two (2) years of experience in landscape maintenance and repair.
Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California Driver’s License by time of appointment.
Interested individuals must submit the following:
- Calaveras County application
- Cover letter
Application materials will be reviewed to evaluate the specific qualifications of each applicant and determine which applicants will continue in the screening process. Incomplete application information will result in the candidate being screened out of the process. Those candidates identified as having qualifications best suited for the position will be invited to participate in the interview process.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
Must possess mobility to work in the field; strength, stamina, and mobility to perform medium to heavy physical work, to work in confined spaces and around machines, outdoor areas, to climb and descend ladders, to operate varied hand and power tools and construction equipment, and to operate a motor vehicle and visit various County sites; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone or radio. The job involves fieldwork requiring frequent walking in operational areas to identify problems or hazards. Finger dexterity is needed to access, enter, and retrieve data using a computer keyboard, phone, or calculator, and to operate above-mentioned tools and equipment. Positions in this classification bend, stoop, kneel, reach, and climb to perform work and inspect work sites. Employees must possess the ability to lift, carry, push, and pull materials and objects weighing up to 100 pounds, or heavier weights with the use of proper equipment.
Employees work in the field and are exposed to loud noise levels, cold and hot temperatures, inclement weather conditions, road hazards, vibration, confining workspace, chemicals, mechanical and/or electrical hazards, and hazardous physical substances and fumes. Employees may interact with members of the public or with staff under emotionally stressful conditions while interpreting and enforcing departmental policies and procedures.
This class description lists the major duties and requirements of the job and is not all-inclusive. Not all duties are necessarily performed by each incumbent. Incumbents may be expected to perform job-related duties other than those contained in this document and may be required to have specific job-related knowledge and skills.