Apply Now! Position is open until filled.
Salary: $12.92 – 15.69/hr.
Job Type: Part - Time
Job Status: Permanent
The County of Calaveras Library Department is seeking a part-time Library Branch Assistant to join their amazing team. The incumbent will, under direction, perform paraprofessional library work and general clerical work; and do related duties as required. The incumbent will work 18 hours a week. The schedule for this position will be 6 hours on Monday in San Andreas and 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Friday in West Point.
This position is considered to be paraprofessional, and is expected to perform duties per established policies and procedures under the close supervision of the County Librarian.
- Performs general support work to ensure the continued operation of the county branch libraries.
- Operates the library circulation desk, including scheduling staff and volunteers.
- Registering new library users and explaining library policies and procedures.
- Assists library users in selecting and locating books and materials and providing assistance to answer research questions.
- Assists in the set-up and maintenance of library exhibits including bulletin boards, exhibition cases and wall displays.
- Prepares signage, posters, and banners.
- Receives and accounts for all fees, fines and donations.
- Shelves books.
- Works with library users, volunteers and community members regarding library activities.
- Maintains statistics and prepares reports on a variety of library activities.
General library functions; library terminology; common office methodologies.
Learn and perform library clerical work with speed and accuracy; understand and follow oral and written instructions; do routine reference work and assist patrons in the selection and location of library materials; establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the general public; properly and effectively perform general public relations work; maintain accurate records.
Education, Training and Experience:
Equivalent to graduation from high school and one year of general clerical experience; demonstrated understanding of library functions is required. Completion of thirty (30) semester units of college course work may be substituted for up to 3 months of the required clerical experience.
Licenses, Certificates, or Registrations:
Possession of a valid California driver’s license.
Interested individuals must submit the following:
- Calaveras County application
- Cover letter
Application materials will be reviewed to evaluate the specific qualifications of each applicant and determine which applicants will continue in the screening process. Incomplete application information will result in the candidate being screened out of the process. Those candidates identified as having qualifications best suited for the position will be invited to participate in the interview process.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
Mobility to work in a standard office environment, use standard office equipment and attend off-site meetings; physical ability to sit or otherwise remain stationary at work post for long periods of time; manual dexterity to use standard office equipment and supplies and to manipulate both single sheets of paper and large document holders (binders, manuals, etc.); vision to read handwritten and printed materials and a computer screen; hearing and speech to communicate person and by telephone.
This class description lists the major duties and requirements of the job and is not all-inclusive. Not all duties are necessarily performed by each incumbent. Incumbents may be expected to perform job-related duties other than those contained in the documents and may be required to have specific job-related knowledge and skills.