SALARY: $20.95 per hour
To view our excellent benefits please click HERE.
**Extra-hire Deputy Sheriff Recruits are eligible for CORE health insurance only.
Under supervision and for a limited time, to serve in a civilian position, assigned to attend an approved P.O.S.T. certified police academy and to do other related work as assigned. This classification has been created to offer potential employment opportunities to individuals who are interested in pursuing a career as a Deputy Sheriff with the Calaveras County Sheriff’s Office.
This classification is a civilian extra-hire (temporary) position. Incumbents are expected to be in a training capacity for the length of the academy. Retention in the classification of Sheriff’s Recruit is contingent upon acceptance to and ongoing successful participation in the assigned training program/police academy. Successful completion of the program as a Sheriff’s Recruit may result in appointment to the classification of Deputy Sheriff I.
In a trainee capacity, learns under academy staff supervision, all aspects of law enforcement work, such as patrol, answering calls for protection of life and property, conducting preliminary investigations, interrogating witnesses, gathering evidence, taking statements, making arrests, investigating accidents, directing traffic, serving warrants and civil papers, booking and guarding prisoners, and jailer and bailiff duties.
· Observe accurately and remember names, faces, numbers, incidents and places.
· Demonstrate an aptitude for law enforcement work.
· Learn, understand and interpret laws and regulations.
· Learn standard broadcasting procedures of a police radio system.
· Make independent decisions and adopt quick, effective and reasonable courses of action.
· Write clear and comprehensive reports.
· Understand and carry out oral and written directions.
· Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with fellow employees & the general public.
· Current membership in the Calaveras County Sheriff’s Office explorer post is highly desirable.
Possession of a valid California Driver’s License. Applicants must be a citizen of the United States at the time of appointment per California Government Code Section 24103.
Education and Experience:
Equivalent to graduation from high school.
Interested individuals must submit the following to 891 Mountain Ranch Rd San Andreas, Ca 95249:
- Calaveras County application
- Cover letter
Candidates who have accurately completed the County application will be invited to an oral interview. Following completion of the oral interview, successful candidates will be invited to take both a physical agility and written exam. Upon successful passage of both the exams, candidates will provided a background packet and given a deadline for completion. Failure to return the background packet on or before the deadline will result in disqualification. Candidates who pass the background investigation will be given a conditional offer of employment contingent on available openings and successful completion of the 6 hour psychology/physiological exam and medical tests. Successful completion of all phases of the County’s testing process is required.