Friday, December 29, 2017 by 5:00 p.m.
Apply now! Position is open until filled.
Salary: $14.99 until your obtain HAZWOPER, then $15.77
Range: 7105 / 7150
Unit: Unrepresented / Temporary
Calaveras County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Calaveras County Integrated Waste Division of the Public Works Department is currently accepting applications to fill TWO temporary 6 month assignments for a Road Maintenance Worker I. The schedule for the first full-time position is Thursday- Monday 7:30 am to 4:00 pm. The schedule for the second full-time position is Friday - Tuesday 7:30 am - 4:00 p.m. However, schedules could change to meet demands or to cover absences so flexibility is required.
This is the entry-level class in the Road/Landfill Maintenance Worker series. Incumbents perform a wide variety of unskilled and semi-unskilled duties in support of the Solid Waste Division. On an emergency basis, incumbents may operate heavy trucks and equipment.
- Performs a variety of unskilled and semiskilled duties such as clearing debris and cleaning ditches and culverts.
- Operates jackhammers and chain saws.
- Cuts weeds and assists in repair of landfill fencing and gates.
- Attend weight scale, inspection of incoming loads, litter pick up.
- Sorting and processing salvaged and recyclable materials.
- Material handling, sorting, loading and transport.
- Installation and maintenance of erosion control and drainage systems.
- General facility maintenance
- Other hazardous waste related duties as assigned
Tools, equipment and materials used in road construction and facility maintenance work.
Operate light and medium-sized trucks and wheel tractors; perform heavy manual labor; understand and carry out written and oral directions; work cooperatively with others; speak, read and write English; communicate with and assist members of the public and other facility users.
Education, Training and Experience:
Equivalent to graduation from high school; AND
One (1) year of responsible experience in road or facility maintenance or general construction work.
Licenses, Certificates, or Registrations:
Possession of a valid California driver’s license.
When assigned to the Solid Waste Division: Must participate and pass HAZWOPER certification as required for handling of household hazardous waste, pursuant to 29 CFR 1910.120 .
Interested individuals must submit the following:
- Calaveras County Application
- Current DMV Printout required at time of application. Must be no more than 30 days old.
Application materials will be reviewed to evaluate the specific qualifications of each applicant and determine which applicants will continue in the screening process. Incomplete application information will result in the candidate being screened out of the process. Those candidates identified as having qualifications best suited for the position will be invited to participate in the interview process.