Apply now! Position is open until filled.
SALARY: $33.67 - $40.98/hr.
To view our excellent benefits please click HERE
County of Calaveras is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The County of Calaveras Office of the District Attorney is seeking qualified applicants for the position of D. A. Investigator. This is a full time position that is expected to start in in early 2018. With this recruitment we are seeking to fill a vacancy, as well as establish an eligibility list for future vacancies. This is a law enforcement position within the District Attorney’s Office and qualifies for safety CalPERS retirement.
The incumbent will, under general direction and supervision, conduct criminal investigations, assist attorneys in the preparation of misdemeanor and felony cases for court proceedings, assist other law enforcement agencies with criminal investigations; and do related work as required.
This is the entry-level and first working level in the District Attorney Investigator Classification series. This position is for a certified peace officer with at least three years of full-time law enforcement experience, of which at least one year was spent in an investigations assignment.
- Prepares search warrants.
- Reviews reports from law enforcement agencies and conducts follow up investigations.
- Inspects crime scenes and gathers, analyzes and preserves physical evidence.
- Maintains evidence chain of custody and arranges for forensic testing of evidence as directed.
- Interviews witnesses, victims, and suspects in criminal cases.
- Prepares reports regarding investigative work and testifies in court.
- Prepares audio/visual, photographs, sketches and diagrams for courtroom presentation.
- Attends court with prosecutors as needed.
- May initiate investigations as directed, including, but not limited to, Officer Involved Shooting investigations, and makes recommendations regarding appropriate charges.
Investigative techniques and procedures; criminal law, rules of evidence and court procedures; training and experience in crime scene processing; interviewing techniques; basic accounting procedures and their application to law enforcement and investigations; use and care of firearms.
Gather and analyze investigative data; provide a variety of support for legal staff and other law enforcement agencies; prepare clear, concise, and comprehensive investigative reports; analyze financial and statistical data; interpret and apply codes, laws, and court decisions regarding the proper gathering and preservation of evidence; prepare diagrams and illustration for presentation in court; training and experience in modern forensic evidence; and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
Education, Training and Experience:
Equivalent to graduation from high school and three years of full-time law enforcement experience with at least one year experience in criminal investigations.
Licenses, Certificates, or Registrations:
Possession of a valid California driver license.
- Possession of a valid Basic P.O.S.T. certificate.
- Must pass a P.O.S.T. background investigation.
Interested individuals must submit the following:
- Calaveras County application
- Cover letter
Application materials will be reviewed to evaluate the specific qualifications of each applicant.Those candidates identified as having qualifications best suited for the position will be invited to in the oral interview process.
Following successful completion of the oral interview, a background investigation will be conducted, including a computer voice stress analysis examination (CVSA). All applicants who successfully complete the background investigation will then be scheduled for a psychological examination. In addition, a fit for duty medical examination will be completed. Successful completion of all phases of the County’s testing process is required.