Apply immediately! Position is open until filled.
Salary: $55,598.40 - $67,558.40 /yr.
County of Calaveras is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The Calaveras Building Department is seeking a senior code enforcement officer to join our team.
Under general direction to enforce zoning, building and vehicle violations, to affect adherence to other health & safety regulations; to effect abatements as appropriate; provides lead direction to Code Enforcement Officers and performs related work as required.
This is an advance journey level class in the Code Enforcement Officer series which will exercise lead direction over Code Enforcement Officers.
- Provides enforcement of zoning, building and health/safety regulations.
- Handles general nuisance abatement efforts as assigned.
- Reviews and disseminates information regarding zoning, building and other regulatory requirements to the general public, governmental officials and other concerned entities.
- Reviews, interprets and administers rules and policies adopted to ensure that health and safety, vehicle abatement and zoning/building standards are maintained.
- Works closely with, county employees, law enforcement personnel, legal counsel and representatives of the court so to handle citations and violations in an appropriate manner.
- Ascertains and gathers facts related to applicable ordinances, codes, laws, rules and regulations and determines and institutes proper action to be taken.
- Investigates and responds to citizen complaints regarding codes and ordinances and initiates appropriate action.
- Researches and prepares cases for prosecution and testifies in court.
- Prepares reports and correspondence for review and approval by Department Head.
- Provides work direction/supervision and training to Code Enforcement Officers. May direct other Building Department staff members as needed.
Applicable building, zoning and health & safety regulations; abatement techniques; enforcement procedures and the legal system.
Secure information from witnesses and others; read, understand, interpret, explain and apply applicable laws and regulations with particular emphasis on building, zoning and health & safety rules; write clear and comprehensive reports; effectively train and supervise employees as required.
Education, Training and Experience:
Equivalent to graduation from high school: Equivalent to three years as a Code Enforcement Officer or related experience is desirable. Demonstrated knowledge of building, zoning, and health and safety codes and regulations.
Licenses, Certificates, or Registrations:
- Valid and appropriate California driver’s license and acceptable driving record at time of appointment and throughout employment in this position;
- Possession of a valid Penal Code 832 Certification;
- Basic Code Enforcement Officer Certificate as issued by a recognized Code Enforcement Association.
Interested individuals must submit the following:
- Calaveras County application
- Cover Letter
Application materials will be reviewed to evaluate the specific qualifications of each applicant and determine which applicants will continue in the screening process. Incomplete application information will result in the candidate being screened out of the process. Those candidates identified as having qualifications best suited for the position will be invited to participate in the interview process.